Sunday, January 11, 2009

Updating Burke's Pictures from Hospital Stay

Warning: very long post ahead. You all have been warned, but I warn you, there will be some dang cute pictures, so enjoy (okay so I'm biased, sorry)! Okay, I want to update some pictures of Burke while in the hospital in Dec. 2008. The one of Emma, Burke and I was taken on Christmas Eve, Emma came with me really late that night and spent a little while with Burke. We had a great time. Below is Burke playing with his "toys". A lot of the nurses commented on how the kids who stay in the hospital for long periods of time begin to enjoy and want to play with the instruments that the doctors and nurses use. He was very interested in the thermometer and here he is trying so hard to get it back into its holder. He got so frustrated when he couldn't get it back in. There is one of he and Santa a couple of days before Christmas. He came around to every child in the hospital. He was pretty excited to see him at first, but when Santa began to shake his bells, oh man Burke just cried so hard and was literally scared so bad that we tried to comfort him until Santa left. I had the camera at first taking pictures at the beginning and then when I saw the look of complete and utter fear on Burke's face I decided to put the camera down and comfort my child laying helpless in the hospital bed. And we come to find out after Santa left, that this Santa is THE Macy's Santa. I don't know how Primary's was able to steal him for this Christmas, but that is THE Santa, pretty cool huh? The picture of Burke sleeping was the first day he was extubated after having the breathing tube in for about 2 weeks. Doesn't he look totally peaceful? I walked into the room to him looking like that, and I about cried, because for the previous two weeks he hadn't even looked like himself with all the tubes he was hooked up to. I love that picture also because it has a literal and physical evidence that Burke was making progress. Tubes were beginnning to be removed slowly and having the breathing tube come out was a huge step and huge physical change that I as a mother just loved. My little Burkie was coming back to normal. The one of Burke and I just shows when he was first starting to sit up again after surgery. He was really weak still but he loved sitting up and looking at everything.



















Here are some of us on Christmas day. I can't have all of the ones be perfect of Burke so, the one above is so sad. He always wanted me to hold him. Burke got to ope his stocking in the hospital. In it was a bunch of tools and a few animals. I also learned how to crochet just before we went down to Utah so I was able to make quite a few hats and finished this brown one for Burke just before Christmas. It is so cute and fits him great, but some people might confuse Burke with being a chemo patient- he's not though! But the hat is decieving. Emma was cute opening her stocking. We had opened presents with her earlier that morning at the Ashton's condo where we were staying. The only thing she didn't open was her stocking and she was SO excited for this. She got some animals also but she got new big girl panties which she wanted to open each one and take the little tape off of each one and threw them all over Burke's crib and on the floor. She thought they were pretty cool. The below two pictures are documenting Burke's room and the atmosphere and also to show that daddy was really present. He got sick while we were down there and wasn't able to come into the PICU for a few days. Luckily by Christmas day he was feeling better and was okay enough that he put on a mask and saw Burke on Christmas day. He was our designated video camera/still shot man! It was great, and I was so glad that we were able to be together on Christmas, but I felt so bad for Tyler as did he because he wanted to be with Burke but we just couldn't risk him getting sick.The last three are some random pictures of cute Burke. I've realized this is totally out of order and kind of crazy and not organized at all, but I think you get the just of it. But now I can finally post pictures of when we got home from Primary's and get on with my life. As can you after this long winded post.

5 comments:

CTR Superheroes said...

I love it when you have long blog updates with such great pictures. I am really impressed with the hat!

Shanna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shanna said...

hi there you don't know me, but I found your blog via blog hopping around and wanted to leave a comment on how beautiful your little boy is. My son Logan LeRoy passed away from a congenital heart and vein disease at the tender age of 8 months in December 2006. I just have such sympathy for what you guys are going through! I am a photographer here in Utah county and I have a story of my little boy on my blog if you would like to read it! it's shannamichellephotography.blogspot.com
Sorry about the deleted comment above!!

Shanna said...

also I don't know how helpful I would be but if you ever need anything please feel free to email me at shannaleroy@hotmail.com

Martha said...

Rachel, you are amazing!!! And I love your long updates...I check almost daily to see how little Burke is doing and I cross my fingers all is well. I'm glad you took so many pictures and are willing to share them with us!