Saturday, November 15, 2008

Day 4 and 5 Post-Op

Burke is beginning to act more like himself. At home he always puts his feet through the ballusters of his crib. As you can see he has begun doing that here as well.

Today Burke was extabated. As you can see from the previous picture, the tape across his upper lip that held the bluish tube in place has been taken out. He is noticeably a lot more comfortable with this tube gone. His oxygen saturations have actually done better without the ventilator as well. In fact, when I arrived back here at the hospital earlier today I walked up behind the Respiratory Therapist just in time to hear her say, "His sats are better off the respirator than they were on it. I've never seen that before." Today the nurses were also able to take the i.v. out of his neck. Without going into a lot of details let me just say that a lot of progress was made today.... He even pooped...why do I mention this you might ask, because look at his belly in the upper picture, no he isn't taking out after his dad, he just has a lot of buildup. Poor kid!

This is what I call a happy Momma!!! This is proof positive that Burke is doing better. Rachel got to rock him to sleep this evening. I am sure he enjoyed it just as much as she did.

5 comments:

Harris Family said...

That must be so great to hold him again!! What a cutie!

Philip and Melissa said...

I'm soo sososososo glad to see and read happy updates. Keep 'em coming!!!!!!

Kaila said...

I am so glad everything is going well. Hope to see you soon

Erin Boyle said...

My name is Erin Boyle. I am married to Brad Boyle, and Kathy Johnson is a very good friend of mine. Our son, Tyler has had so many medical problems, and PCMC is our second home! We live in Bountiful, and we would love to help you in any way that you need! Your blog has touched me deeply, and I am so glad to read that your son is doing so much better. He looks great, and you and Tyler look so happy! When they finally start to act like themselves it is a beautiful, peace filled moment!
Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you!
Erin Boyle

Becky said...

it seems when the poop comes, the healing begins! :)
thank you for the updates!