Monday, August 16, 2010

Talk Radio

Photo taken in March of 2010, My Dad with Emma and Burke

This post is for my dad. A Vietnam Veteran. A Patriotic man. An American. And Proud to be it.

Dad,

You will be proud of me. I know you will. I did something that you did ALL growing up. Every summer when we would mow lawns with you- ya, like every summer since I was 5- we listened to KFBK 1530 talk radio. Yep, I admit as a teenager I could care less about talk radio. Boy did I just dread listening to boring talk radio on caveman AM radio. I did learn from it though, and Paul Harvey (sp?) was funny, (it was Paul right?) I can just hear it loud and clear, because it was very, very loud blaring out of the old truck radio, "Now, for the rest of the story..." Classic. Just classic. That and classical music was the only two radio waves that seemed to ever come out of dad's truck radio.

Well Dad, I listened to talk radio for the first time, WILLINGLY, the other day. I turned on the radio and turned it to AM 580 in Idaho to listen to The Glenn Beck Talk Radio Show. I thought you would be proud that I saw the light of talk radio. Not all of it is good, of course. (Side note: like Dr. Laura- she is someone who is a supposedly a "professional" who gives advice to people on air who should NOT be allowed to give her "professional" advice any longer. She is AWFUL!! And I have tried to call in to talk with her personally because I think she is impatient, mean, and down right off base when it comes to dealing with very personal issues in real people's life.)

But I feel that all the times you made us listen to talk radio it mattered to you in your life at the time. Politics matter in your life. Saving and protecting marriage and our families as we know it matter in your life and mom's life when both of you helped in California to support Proposition 8. You stood on the side of the road and held signs to defend Proposition 8. You and mom stood for what you believed in then and will stand forever for what you believe in. Because it matters.

So, I thank you for showing me all those years to search for knowledge to better ourselves. It is education that we all should seek for. It is knowledge that I am seeking to better myself. We as Americans need to seek for education as well to help us dig ourselves out of the deep mess we have gotten ourselves into. It is our duty.

I now claim that I listen to talk radio. And I like it. Really like it.

Love your daughter,

Rachel

"Paul Harvey, g'day"!

4 comments:

Elizabeth Farnsworth said...

Paul Harvey :)

Rachel Johnson said...

Shoot- are you kidding me!!!"Paul Harvey, good day!" Shoot, I gotta change it so I don't look totally dumb! Thanks Liz! But wait he listened to Rush Limbaugh also right? So, which was the one that said "and now for the rest of the story"? Was it rush or Paul? AHHH!!!

Elizabeth Farnsworth said...

Paul

Rachel Johnson said...

You make me laugh Liz. One word answers. Straight to the point nothing more. How's the fam? How's the crazy hot weather down under?