Monday, August 23, 2010

Peter Pan is "Free"

...also pronounced "Three"! On Saturday we celebrated Burke's 3rd birthday! I can't believe that we are celebrating his 3rd birthday!! It seems with all he has gone through he should be like 50 yrs old! We are so grateful for the Lord for sparing his life so many times throughout his life. The Lord is so merciful. He came here to earth to receive a body and to teach me and my family and those around him what this life is all about. He has taught us so much and still teaches us everyday. I am so blessed to have him come to our family. I am so grateful that he and Emma not only look so much alike but they act alike and they LOVE being siblings. I love it how she calls him "brother". I love it how he calls her "sister".

I love it how much he is enjoying his life with out oxygen and a feeding tube. I am grateful for the experience we had while he was on oxygen for he managed it so well and just went with the flow of having to be hooked up to a long cord for most of his life up until last December. I am grateful for that experience because now I appreciate Burke so much more now and appreciate not having to deal with the burden of the oxygen. I am grateful for how much I have learned through the experiences and trials we have gone through with Burke being born with Heart Disease.
I am grateful for all the doctors for loving and caring for Burke like he was their own. I am grateful for his surgeons and for how close to the Spirit they are while in surgery. I am ultimately grateful for the Lord's mercy in our lives.

Here are some of the pictures from Burke's fun day. He was happy the second he woke up! I just loved it! This birthday he actually knew what was going on and that made the day so much fun. It was his first birthday with out oxygen and with his heart fixed so we just played and had a great day. He even gave mommy a great present by taking a nap! The family in town came over to give him presents (which you guys didn't have to do) and to celebrate his life with us on that glorious day!! I just thank the Lord everyday for him and that his heart was able to get fixed.
Okay, I wasn't able to put captions on any of these pictures- it's acting funny or maybe it's just me. But you get the idea of how his day was. My parents wanted to get a bike for him and so I checked around for a long time on craigslist and at stores for good deals, we finally found one by calling Sam and Kathy and they had Graham's old bike that was in great condition that we got from them. Burke did great riding it the first time! Tyler's present to Burke was a wooden rubber band gun that Ty and Emma made together. It was a hit! He LOVED IT! Ty did a great job on it. You can tell in the picture where he has the purple birthday cape on looking at his cake that he is shooting Captain Hook (at point blank range) on the ship (that Tyler also made out of wood) on his cake. It was awesome! I think this birthday was the best ever for him!! It is so sad he is growing up! Enjoy the pictures. Thanks everyone who came to celebrate his life with us!! We love you all!
This last picture is so stinkin cute- he attached to this red heart balloon early in the morning and would NOT let it go! He was in the pool with it! I just love him.
Burke,

We love you so much little buddy! And I am grateful for you and your determination to keep going everyday even when you think you can't possibly go through one more surgery or procedure, or one more illness. You will get through this, I know that for a fact. Heavenly Father is with you everyday, every minute and every second of your life- never forget that. Never. You have been a fighter ever since you were born and you have NEVER given up and I commend you for that. You are truly and inspiration to me and everyone who hears of your story. You have been through 4 open heart surgeries (not counting the two times they opened you up with in a 24 hour period), 5 heart catheters (also surgeries), 1 tongue clipping surgery combined with ear tube surgery, and 1 last tongue clipping surgery just last month. You have been through more than most people have in their lives and you have stayed happy, and kept on eating and living despite all that.

I want you to know that your mama loves you, your daddy loves you, and your big sister Emma is the best big sister ever for you. I know for a fact with all my heart that she was sent here and supposed to be your big sister. She has been amazing help to me over the past few years and she is amazing to you and helps comfort you when you are sad or sick. She is the best and I want you to never forget that. She loves you so much. Your grandma's and grandpa's love you and all your 50 plus cousins on both sides love you as well.
Never keep going buddy. You amaze me and I can't wait to watch you grow up (slowly of course) and experience this wonderful life our Father in Heaven has created for us to experience. I love you with all my heart, "Lion Heart". Thank you for coming into this world "open- hearted".

Love always,
Mama

1 comment:

Elizabeth Farnsworth said...

Happy Birthday little Burke! We hope you had a wonderful day. We love you so much. You have taught us so much. I love how all the grandkids are following him around what looks like the whole day. So cute!